Technically, you can make burgers with any kind of meat, but for some reason, beef burgers are the most popular. Maybe that’s because people haven’t tried this air fryer turkey burger recipe. If they have, they’ll surely eat turkey burgers more often.
In this recipe, I will show you how to make juicy homemade turkey burgers that everyone will love. Air fryer turkey burgers are an amazing alternative for a quick weekday dinner or a tasty dish for your next barbeque. With a few common ingredients and an easy technique, you can make amazing air fryer turkey burgers that you will crave over and over again.
This recipe will yield 4 turkey burgers in around 12 minutes.
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers Vs. Beef Burgers
You might be asking, “Why turkey instead of beef?” Turkey and beef are two of the most protein sources in your diet. They both contain good nutritional values that are important for your overall health.
However, turkey is often lower in fat and calories than beef, making it a better alternative for those who are watching their weight. Turkey also contains less saturated fat and trans fat. Even better, it has more monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat, the healthier types of fats.
While ground beef burgers have richer flavor and texture, turkey burger patties are a good alternative for people who prefer the milder flavor and softer texture. You can still spice it up with some seasoning if you prefer. Furthermore, turkey is more affordable than beef. In fact, it’s one of the most common beef substitutes.
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers Nutrition Facts
Here is the nutritional information for each four-ounce turkey burger patty:
- Calories: 180
- Fat: 8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2 grams
- Cholesterol: 85 milligrams
- Sodium: 80 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 0 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Sugars: 0 grams
- Protein: 22 grams
Why Use an Air Fryer?
Some people prefer cooking with an air fryer because it’s convenient. Air fryer requires minimal preparation to use, and it’s generally mess-proof. Besides, it can be a healthier cooking method as it eliminates the need for oil.
Similar to an oven, an air fryer uses hot air to cook food. However, it’s simpler, more versatile, and uses far less energy to operate. It also has a faster cooking time, which can save you more time.
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers Recipe
You are free to substitute some of the ingredients here. If you can’t find ground turkey thighs, you can use lean ground turkey breasts instead. Just note that it will make your patties less juicy. Likewise, if you don’t have Worcestershire sauce or prefer not to use it, you can consider soy sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce, or any other similar sauce as a substitute.
Breadcrumbs will add more texture to your patties, but you can leave them out if you don’t have them. You can also change minced garlic or chopped onion to garlic powder or onion powder. It’s okay to use dried parsley if fresh parsley is not available.
Equipment to Use
Here is the equipment you will need to cook this turkey burger recipe.
1. Air Fryer
Any type of air fryer should work. Just make sure the air fryer basket has enough space to fit several pieces of burgers. Otherwise, you might need to cook in a few batches.
Also, pay attention to the energy it uses. This can determine the cooking time you need.
2. Meat Thermometer
Using this tool can help you ensure whether your meat is cooked thoroughly or not. You don’t want your meat to be overcooked or undercooked.
Overcooked turkey can be very dry and tough. On the other hand, undercooked ground turkey might still contain harmful bacteria that can cause illness. Therefore, you should make sure your turkey has the perfect doneness.
The best way to remove your burgers from the air fryer is using kitchen tongs. They’re usually designed to be heat-resistant, so they should be safe for air fryers.
4. Fork, Spoon, Knife, or Other Utensils
You will need these utensils to prepare, mix, and cook your ingredients and turkey patties.
Sides That Go Well with Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
To balance your meal, you can eat your air fryer turkey burger with some sides. An ideal side would be a healthy and nutritious one, such as sweet potato fries, grilled vegetables, coleslaw, and potato salad.
Remember that turkey doesn’t contain as much iron, mineral, and zinc as beef. Leafy greens would make a perfect combination as they provide the nutrition ground turkey lacks.
Can You Cook Frozen Turkey Burgers in an Air Fryer?
If you prefer to buy frozen turkey burgers instead of making them from scratch, you can cook them in an air fryer as well. Usually, it would take a longer time. You’ll need an extra five-minute or so to make sure your turkey burgers are cooked thoroughly, or you can thaw them beforehand. Do you still have leftovers? Freeze them for later until you can air fry them again.
Can You Cook Turkey Burgers with Other Methods?
Yes, you can definitely cook a turkey burger with methods other than air frying them. Here are a few ways to cook your turkey burgers:
1. Frying pan – To cook turkey burgers on a frying pan, first, heat some oil on the pan over medium-high heat. Then fry your patties for around 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
2. Oven – Drizzle a little bit of oil on your turkey burgers. Bake them in the oven at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or once they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
3. Grill – Grilling can add smokiness to your turkey burgers. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat before grilling the burgers for five to seven minutes on each side.
Air fryer turkey burgers are nutritious and really simple to make. All you need are some common and affordable ingredients that include lean ground turkey, egg, sauce, onion, and garlic, as well as equipment such as an air fryer, a meat thermometer, tongs, and a knife.
Plus, air frying a turkey burger can be healthier compared to other cooking methods. That’s because you don’t need a lot of oil or fat.
You may modify this recipe to suit your preferences by adding preferred toppings or seasonings. You can also serve it with your preferred side dishes. Overall, this air fryer turkey burger dish is a quick and easy way to have a nutritious and tasty lunch.
If you like this recipe, you should try more air fryer recipes!
More Air Fryer Recipes
air fried chicken cutlets recipe
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
Air fryer turkey burgers are an amazing alternative for a quick weekday dinner or a tasty dish for your next barbeque. Try it out with your friends or family!
- 1 lb. ground turkey thighs
- 1/4 c. breadcrumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
- chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil to cook
- Burger buns
- Toppings of your choice (tomato, lettuce, onion, cheese, etc.)
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Mix them well. The best method to do this is by using your hands. However, you can use a fork or another utensil as long as you can make sure they're evenly distributed.
- Divide the meat mixture into four portions, and shape them into round turkey patties. I recommend them to be 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick to make sure you still get the juices.
- Preheat your air fryer to 360°F-375°F. Then coat your air fryer basket with cooking oil to prevent the turkey patties from sticking.
- Place the turkey patties in the air fryer basket. Ensure that there are some spaces between them for circulation. If they don't fit, you can air fry them in a few batches.
- Air fry turkey patties for around 10 to 12 minutes. Remember that cooking time varies depending on the thickness of your burgers. Halfway through cooking, flip them. Your turkey burger patties should be cooked once they reach an internal temperature of 165°F. You can use a meat thermometer to make sure.
- Once they're all cooked, remove them from the air fryer, and let them rest for a few more minutes.
- Serve your turkey burgers with toppings as desired!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 394mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 40g