Everybody loves a good barbecue, and with this easy-to-make recipe, you can get your hands on some deliciously baked BBQ chicken drumsticks in no time. These succulent chicken legs are the perfect side dish, main course, or snack to make your friends and family come back for seconds.
Made with just a few ingredients and the BBQ sauce of your choice, my baked BBQ chicken drumsticks recipe is sure to be a hit. The Split Chicken Breast Recipe is also a lovely way to enjoy the juicy texture of baked chicken!
I can’t talk about why baked chicken legs are so yummy without mentioning the incredible aromas they give off while cooking.
To me, the fragrance alone is inviting and comforting – making this recipe my favorite for literally any occasion!
With the added bonus of being able to prepare the ingredients ahead of time and have them ready when you need them, these baked chicken drumsticks can easily be one of your go-to recipes too.
Choose Any Kind of BBQ Sauce for the Coating
Making baked BBQ chicken drumsticks at home is super easy. The best part is that you can use whichever sauce you prefer – there’s no specific flavor required.
I like using sugar-free barbecue sauce for my baked BBQ chicken recipe, but you can go with a bit of sweetness too.
Baking drumsticks in the oven is usually healthy, as there’s no oil involved in the process. As a result, having mildly sweet BBQ sauce isn’t all that bad.
Chicken Drumstick Substitution
Although my baked BBQ chicken drumsticks recipe calls for legs specifically, you can go with thighs and chicken breasts too.
Honestly, the marinade is the real winner here, as that’s what gives the entire dish a delicious flavor.
Drumsticks are always a favorite for many, including me, but choose whichever cut you and your loved ones prefer.
I would still recommend you work with chicken drumsticks instead since that’s what the recipe is all about. However, it depends on what you can find at home and in the market.
What Makes Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks so Good Anyway?
The great thing about this baked BBQ chicken drumsticks recipe is that not only does it taste delicious, but it’s easy to make and doesn’t require a ton of ingredients. Plus, it’s the perfect way to feed a crowd!
Chicken drumsticks are sort of a comfort food – cheering you up after a long day at work. This BBQ chicken drumsticks recipe is simple, mouth-watering, and easy to make.
All you have to do is make the marinade and have the chicken legs soak in the mixture for a good while. The oven does the rest of the work for you.
Tips for Making Baked BBQ Chicken Legs
Love the taste of a sweet, smoky barbecue? Delicious oven-baked BBQ chicken legs could be just what you’re looking for.
Not only are they fast and simple to make, but they are healthy, too – no sugary BBQ sauce or sweet marinades necessary!
Whether you want to make them for a special occasion or just for dinner, you’ll be sure to enjoy these tasty drumsticks. Here are a few tips to get you started on the right path:
- Use skinless and boneless pieces for a healthier dish. Chicken skin usually contains a lot of saturated fat, which can cause cholesterol levels to spike.
- Sugar-free BBQ sauce is the way to go for me. You can also make your own tangy BBQ sauce at home. Mix apple cider vinegar with two tablespoons of olive oil, garlic powder, and some Worcestershire sauce.
- Remember to always pat the chicken drumsticks dry before rubbing the seasoning over them.
- Don’t forget to re-bake chicken drumsticks after coating them with layers of BBQ sauce. This makes the chicken skin crispy.
- Always use a thermometer to check the temperature inside the chicken. The meat inside should reach 160F, around the 35-minute mark when baking.
- Store extra chicken drumsticks in a tight ziplock bag and store them in the freezer. You can keep it frozen for three months!
- Keep your leftovers in an air-tight container. Chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce can be refrigerated for up to four days.
- You can microwave it for meals or bake it in a preheated oven (350F) for 10 minutes again. The skin might turn soft, so it’s best to coat the chicken legs with a layer of BBQ sauce once more.
What to Pair with Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
It’s so easy to bake BBQ chicken legs, making the dish a delicious choice for family get-togethers and hangouts.
I always like to fry potato wedges or cheese balls whenever I decide to make BBQ chicken. It’s a family favorite, after all! Here are some other sides to pair with my baked BBQ chicken drumsticks recipe:
- Baked French fries or parmesan potato wedges
- Fresh hummus (homemade)
- Sautéed veggies
- Lettuce and mozzarella salad
- Mashed cauliflower dip
Substitutes to a Baking Sheet
I personally find that lining the oven tray with a baking sheet makes it easier for me to clean up after cooking. The sheet underneath catches all the juices and mixtures from the baked chicken.
However, there’s no need to head to the market just to purchase parchment paper if you don’t have it at home.
Instead, use aluminum foil under the wire rack. On the other hand, you can also place another tray underneath.
The great thing about making BBQ drumsticks at home is that you control the ingredients used, so you can make sure your drumsticks are truly healthy and sugar-free. Plus, if you make extra, you can easily freeze the leftovers in a ziplock bag. Leftovers can also be used for this recipe for tasty Campbell’s Chicken Pot Pie.
This makes meal prep so much easier and will ensure you always have a tasty, healthy dinner option when you’re running low on time.
In terms of flavor, baked chicken drumsticks can’t be beaten! The smoky, savory BBQ sauce combined with the sweet and succulent drumsticks themselves make for a truly unforgettable meal or snack.
This combination is great for all kinds of occasions, from casual get-togethers to more formal gatherings.
You can serve them just as they are or dress them up with sides like coleslaw, potato salad or wedges, corn on the cob, or other items of your choosing.
This makes BBQ chicken a great addition to any meal or snack when you’re looking for tasty and easy dishes.
Make sure you get a good quality barbecue sauce and choose organic, free-range chicken drumsticks to ensure you get the best results.
In short, chicken legs coated in mouth-watering BBQ sauce are not only delicious but healthy, economical, and oh-so-satisfying. What’s not to love? Try them today and find out for yourself just why everyone loves my baked chicken legs recipe!
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Made with just a few ingredients and the BBQ sauce of your choice, my baked BBQ chicken drumsticks recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone.
- 4 lb. chicken drumsticks (wings, thighs, or chicken breast pieces as a substitute)
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. Smoked paprika
- 2-3 c. bbq sauce (low-sugar or sugar-free)
- Get a medium-sized bowl and mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Once that's all nicely mixed, throw in the chicken drumsticks and thoroughly coat them with the dry ingredients.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap, and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. You want the seasonings to properly penetrate the thick skin and get inside.
- While the chicken drumsticks soak in the marinade for 30 minutes, set your preheated oven to 350F. You can also prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place it in the preheated oven.
- Take out the marinated chicken drumsticks from the refrigerator and transfer all of them to the aluminum lined baking sheet in the middle of the oven.
- Allow about 40 minutes to make perfectly tender baked chicken. You have to flip the chicken drumsticks over 20 minutes into the process.
- Take out the baked chicken legs after 40 minutes, and generously coat them with your choice of BBQ sauce. Make sure to lather both sides equally.
- Afterward, bake the drumsticks for another 10 minutes on one side, and flip them over again to properly cook the other end. This will give you that crispy skin coated with the BBQ sauce.
- Once done, take out the BBQ chicken drumsticks and plate them however you like. I always prefer having the BBQ drumsticks hot and fuming - it just makes the pieces so much juicier!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1073Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 384mgSodium: 4001mgCarbohydrates: 121gFiber: 5gSugar: 93gProtein: 77g