Tuna steaks are a wonderful dish for those who don’t want to spend that much time in the kitchen.
While we sometimes love to get our inner chef out, sometimes, we’re just too tired to do it.
Thankfully, there are dozens of delicious recipes you can start trying out today, and one of those is the tuna steak. Tuna steaks are among the easiest dishes you can prepare if you love seafood.
If you’re ready to make restaurant-quality dinners, make sure to read this guide on how to cook tuna steak the right way!
The Versatility of Tuna Steaks
The beauty of this dish is that tuna pairs with many delicious ingredients.
Today, I’ll teach you how to make the standard version, which includes lemon and herbs, but if you’re feeling more creative, you can pair your fresh tuna with potatoes for an extra touch of flavor!
Even though a baked tuna steak is a simple recipe, it’s still a nice alternative to the usual chicken/beef dinner recipes people make.
You don’t have to give too much thought to this dish, all you have to do is follow this recipe card, determine your desired doneness, and you will be ready to enjoy your fish meal within a few minutes! To add a bit more to your tuna, try making this tuna steak marinade before cooking up your tuna steaks!
What Ingredients Will You Need?
Tuna steaks don’t need that many ingredients, and the chances are that you have most of them already at home.
Remember you can also add other ingredients like red pepper flakes if you feel like getting spicier with the flavor. Moreover, you can add some fresh lemon juice to enhance the results.
As for your kitchen tools, you will need a baking sheet, a cutting board, or any other place where you can set/season your tuna.
The “Herbes de Provence” is a blend of dried herbs that works perfectly for roasts, poultry, soups, and fish.
You can either buy the mix from your local store or prepare it yourself.
If you’re going for the latter, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 tbsp of dried thyme
- 2 tbsp of dried marjoram
- 2 tbsp of dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp of dried savory
- 1 tbsp of dried oregano
- 1 tbsp of dried tarragon
Tips to Consider
As you can see, the recipe for baked tuna steaks is simple and doesn’t take too much time or ingredients. If you want to make the most out of this tuna recipe, make sure to consider these tips:
- Baking isn’t the only option you have for preparing these steaks. Some people also use a pan sear method with a hot skillet, the grill method, or the poaching method. All of these are valid, just choose the one that best suits your needs. If you prefer red meat instead of fish, you can try out this baked cube steak recipe!
- If you want your steaks to cook more evenly, let your fish sit out for up to 30 minutes before you get it into the oven.
- The recommended level of “doneness” is approximately 125°F (or 52°C), but the USDA suggests the internal temperature of your steaks to be 145°C (or 63°C). Go for the option that feels better for you.
Instructions for Storing and Reheating Leftovers
If you get any leftovers, don’t worry; you can store them without any problems.
All you need to do is keep your steaks in a shallow airtight container. In most cases, you can only refrigerate them for up to four days.
On the other hand, if you’re planning on freezing your leftovers, you should wrap them with foil and then into an airtight container. You can store your leftovers for up to three months with this method, although you will have to thaw overnight in your fridge.
Keep in mind you don’t have to necessarily reheat your steak, as it’s delicious if you combine it with a salad or eat it as a cold appetizer.
If you want to reheat your leftovers, make sure you let the steaks get to room temperature. Then, get them to a medium-hot pan, add a bit of oil, and sear the top and bottom.
You should only let the leftovers heat until they’re warm, not until they’re fully cooked in the middle.
I hope this recipe page has helped you understand more about this delicious meal!
With a few ingredients, salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste, you will be able to make the most out of this recipe.
Baked Tuna Steak
If you're ready to make restaurant-quality dinners, make sure to read this guide on how to cook a perfectly baked tuna steak the right way!
- 12 oz. tuna steaks (try to get your tuna in 3/4-inch thickness)
- 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper and salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. "herbes de provence"
- 1 sliced lemon
- First, let's preheat your oven to 450°F (or 232°C).
- Take your tuna steaks and coat them with olive oil. Once you're done, season them with garlic powder, herbs, salt, pepper, and any other ingredient you consider appropriate. Then, place the tuna steaks on the backing sheet.
- Take the lemon and cut them into thin slices. Then, spread those slices around the tuna steaks.
- Get your tuna steaks into the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. If you're going for the medium-rare results, get the baked tuna steak out when it has a pink center.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 384mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 50g