When it comes to comfort food, the first thing that comes to my mind is a delicious golden mushroom soup!
The intense flavor of mushrooms, paprika, and sour cream makes this dish a culinary wonder that will surprise all your family and guests as soon as they try it for the first time.
Also, what I love the most about this recipe is that I can make it in only 30 minutes or less!
If you love mushroom soups but want a homemade version instead of the one that comes in a can, you’ve come to the right place!
With this golden mushroom soup recipe, you will prepare a delicious, hearty, and comforting dish to share with your loved ones.
Are you ready to start? Find a list of ingredients, a short but comprehensive step-by-step guide, tips, substitutions, and more here!
Why Is It Called Golden Mushroom Soup?
If you want to make this recipe, you shouldn’t look for golden mushrooms – I’m not even sure if they exist!
This soup got its name because it is lighter in color than the cream of mushroom soup we all know. In addition, its consistency is more liquid.
Another thing I love about golden mushroom soup is that it’s so versatile that it can serve as a base for multiple sauces, stews, casseroles, and side dishes.
If you love soups, you can serve this version alone with some toast. It’s delicious that way!
However, you can also use it to make sandwiches, as a sauce on a piece of barbecued pork, and more!
Do you love to experiment? This may be the ideal recipe for you. If you want a vegetarian version, for example, you can use rice milk and vegetable broth.
So, now that we’ve worked up an appetite, I think it’s better to start listing the ingredients for this delicious dish. Find them below!
After finding the right ingredients, we also have to look for some tools to prepare this delicious golden mushroom soup. These are:
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Soup pot
- Stirring spoon
- Serving plates
- Small saucepan
Variations: Make Other Mushroom Soup Recipes With This One
If you have already tried this soup and loved it but want something different, you can make some variations. Here are some of my favorites:
Homemade Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup
One of the most famous mushroom soups is Campbell’s. Essentially, it’s the same recipe and has almost the same ingredients. However, we must add tomatoes.
While mixing the stock, we can add a can of crushed tomatoes or a tablespoon of tomato paste to make a delicious version of Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup that we all know.
Mushroom Soup with Dill
There are many mushroom soup recipes with dill. I like it, but I prefer to add other herbs to my recipes.
However, if you love dill, you can add a teaspoon to the mixture after the sliced mushrooms.
Vegetarian Mushroom Soup
Another variation we can do is the vegetarian mushroom soup. In this case, we should replace the beef stock with vegetable stock.
We should also use vegetable oil and substitute regular milk for rice milk or another non-dairy alternative – and don’t worry, it doesn’t change the soup’s golden color.
Full-Protein Mushroom Soup
If we want to make a more hearty soup for lunch, we can add shredded chicken breasts when cooking the mushrooms or after the soup is done. You’ll love the end result!
Are you worried because you want to prepare this recipe but don’t have all the ingredients? You can use some substitutions! These are the most common.
If we don’t have garlic powder, you can use fresh garlic. Just chop it finely to maintain the characteristic texture of this soup.
To make this recipe, we can use any cooking wine. White wine will maintain this soup’s characteristic golden color.
However, if we don’t have it at home, we can use marsala wine. It can change the soup’s color and taste sweeter, but it’s a great option.
If we don’t have beef stock, we can still prepare this delicious recipe. In that case, just use chicken stock instead!
While we can use any type of mushroom to make this recipe, it works best with the most vigorous varieties.
I personally recommend portobello, cremini, or white button mushrooms. I have also used morels, and the result has been excellent!
Baby Bella mushrooms are also great but I think the best alternatives are the heartier species.
Finally, there’s the oil. We can use any type of oil to make this mushroom soup.
So, if you don’t have this variety at home, use another one. Canola oil goes well with this recipe!
Do you want to add more flavor to this golden mushroom soup? If so, we can use other seasonings and ingredients, including the following:
- Flat-leaf parsley
- Mustard powder
- White vinegar
- Olive oil
- And more!
Tips to Make This Great Recipe
Now that you know all the ingredients and tools we need, let’s check out all the tips and tricks to get the best results.
- Use a damp towel to clean the mushrooms, gently removing the dirt and soil
- Determine if you want a creamier or less golden soup before you start making this dish
- Add more stock or wine to make it lighter
- Add more flour or less stock to make the soup thicker
- Take enough time to saute the sliced mushrooms, allowing the heat to draw out their moisture for a better texture
- Avoid using low-fat sour cream, as that variety tends to become lighter and mix with other ingredients when heated, which could alter the soup’s flavor and texture
- Add salt and pepper to taste after the soup is thick enough for a better flavor! If you want a spicy mushroom alternative, take a look at our spicy enoki mushroom recipe.
If you want to show your family or friends how much you love them with a delicious dish, this mushroom soup may be all you need.
It’s delicious, filling, and easy to make! Also, it’s perfect during those winter days when we need something warm to warm our bodies.
Like our mushroom jerky recipe, what I love most about this recipe is its versatility and great flavor. So, remember that you can experiment a bit to create new dishes at home!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have questions about this recipe? Check out the FAQ section below!
Is This Recipe Expensive?
No, it isn’t! As you can see, you only need simple ingredients that you can find at a local grocery store.
Can I Use This Mushroom Soup to Make a Recipe With Pork?
Of course, this soup goes well with this type of meat. I love making Golden pork chops with this recipe.
If you want to make Golden Pork Chops, just cover the meat with a golden mushroom sauce (you can use this recipe as a base) and add a few slices of fresh mushrooms and onions.
Without a doubt, Golden pork chops with mushrooms are one of my favorite recipes in the world!
How Many Calories Does This Soup Have?
It has around 251 kcal per serving!
Golden Mushroom Soup
One thing I love about golden mushroom soup is that it's so versatile that I can use it as a base for multiple sauces, stews, casseroles, and side dishes.
- 1 lb. mushrooms
- 2 c. veggie stock
- 2 c. milk
- 2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
- ¼ c. white wine or any other cooking wine
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Clean the mushrooms carefully (we can use a damp cloth or put them in a bowl with water and dry them after removing the dirt). Chop the mushrooms into medium-sized pieces.
- Add the two tablespoons of butter to a soup pot and bring it to heat until it melts.
- Chop the onions and add to the melted butter. Cook the chopped onions until soft and translucent (it takes about five minutes at medium heat).
- Add the chopped mushrooms, white wine, and paprika. Stir and let the mixture cook for about five more minutes (keep stirring frequently).
- Add the broth and the soy sauce to the mixture. Put the lid on the pot and let the mixture simmer for at least 10 minutes without boiling (lift the lid occasionally and turn the heat down a bit if it starts to boil).
- Add two tablespoons of flour with two cups of milk to a separate saucepan whisk constantly and simmer to create a roux. The mixture should bubble and turn a golden brown.
- After the mixture simmers for 10 minutes, slowly add the flour and milk mixture to thicken the soup. Let the soup cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Once thick, remove the soup from heat, add the lemon juice, and stir.
- Taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper if necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 10g