I’ve been cooking soups nonstop for months now! However, one of the simplest and cheesiest soups I’ve tried is this hash brown potato cheese soup that has quickly gained popularity among my family members.
There are numerous recipes for hash browns potato cheese soup, but this one stands out. It features bacon and sautéed carrots for an additional taste boost.
If you don’t believe me, you must give it a try. You’ll quickly notice how addictive this potato soup can be.
What Is Hash Brown Potato Soup?
Hash Brown Potato Soup is a quick and simple comfort meal that can be cooked in only one hour with things you have laying around the house.
When making Hash Brown Potato Soup, you can prep all your onions and throw them in one bag.
Then, freeze the remaining onions to use later on. This is a great way of saving time and having ingredients ready for more recipes.
Questions and Variations
How to Substitute the Sour Cream
If you aren’t a fan of this ingredient, you can use either milk, condensed cream, evaporated milk, or heavy cream.
These products should provide a similar consistency to the crock pot soup.
How to Substitute the Cheddar Cheese
You can add a wide variety of cheeses to suit your taste better, such as cream cheese or gruyere, but keep in mind that the texture of the crockpot potato soup will change.
I found out that cutting the crumbled bacon while frozen makes it easier to cook!
You can dice it first, cut it into strips, and then toss it into the heated skillet.
Use a hand blender and cream cheese to swiftly combine all the ingredients if you desire a smoother crockpot potato soup.
It’s simple to customize this potato cheese soup and give it your own touch.
It tastes fantastic with chicken, broccoli, green onions, cauliflower, or even baked potatoes.
Frozen hash browns can be used in several ways, but remember, they should always be the protagonist of the dish.
This fantastic and simple recipe is perfect for cold days, which is why it is one of my favorite recipes.
Besides, it is a great way of using those leftover frozen hash browns and chicken soup in the fridge. You can now treat yourself and your loved ones to this creamy potato soup.
If you liked this recipe, please check out the rest of my page for more delicious meals like my black folks sweet potato pie.
Hash Brown Potato Soup
Hash Brown Potato Soup is a quick and simple comfort meal that can be cooked in only one hour with things you likely have in the pantry.
- 20 oz. shredded hash browns
- 1 c. sour cream
- 2 c. cheddar cheese
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. shredded carrots
- 1/2 c. diced yellow onion
- 7 slices bacon, diced
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp. flour
- Clean and chop the veggies.
- Pull the hash browns out of the freezer to defrost.
- Now, you can take out a medium-sized pot and coat the bottom with a thin layer of oil. Bring the pot to medium heat then add in the bacon bits, stirring them around to cook. This step should take at most 10 minutes.
- Once the bacon bits are cooked, take them out and set them aside in a separate container, but leave the fat on the pan, as this will add flavor to the potato soup.
- Now, take the carrot, onion, and garlic, and once you've sliced them thinly, throw them into the pot. Keep moving them with a wooden spoon until they soften and caramelize.
- Next, add the flour to the sautéed onions and veggies and stir constantly until a thin paste starts to form.
- Add the chicken broth and seasonings to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil then add the frozen hashbrowns.
- Once the hashbrowns soften, bring the heat to a simmer and let the soup cook until the hashbrowns are tender enough to take bites without issues.
- Add the sour cream and cook it for about five minutes or until the soup thickens to your liking.
- Stir until the cheddar cheese until it melts and fully incorporate into the soup.
- One great tip is to take some of the cooked veggies and set them aside to use as garnish once the soup is done.
- You can add other seasonings aside from salt and pepper, such as onion powder or garlic powder.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 1392mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g