Winter is coming! That means everyone is likely to go down with the sniffles at some point during the next few months.
It’s at times like this when you feel terrible and your taste buds have completely packed it in that a hot cup of honey-lemon tea made from fresh lemon juice will feel like a lifesaver.
This is one of those hot tea recipes that everyone needs to know how to make. There is no need to suffer unduly from sore throats when all you need is some boiling water, a few lemon slices, and some honey to have you feeling right as rain again.
About This Healthy Drink Recipe
This healthy hot beverage is made from a simple combination of lemon juice, honey, and black tea. Besides being the go-to hot drink on a cold night, it also packs a powerful punch of vitamin C.
A cup of lemon-honey tea now and then provides your body with a lot of anti-inflammatory properties and is great for boosting your immune system.
Benefits of Lemon-Honey Tea
Whether you prefer your cup of lemon tea early in the morning or just before bedtime, you will benefit in many ways, such as:
- Helps in digestion
- A very refreshing and tasty drink
- Removes toxins from the body
- Improves your immunity
- Better hydration
- Good for the skin
- Helps in weight loss
Black Tea or Plain Lemon Juice and Honey?
Honey-lemon tea can be enjoyed in two ways; either with or without the black tea component. Your choice between the two depends on taste because, in terms of benefits, there is not much difference. Another alternative to improve overall health if you aren’t a fan of tea is apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.
I am rather partial to having a cup of black or green tea with a bit of honey and lemon juice (or fresh ginger) simply because I love how it tastes.
However, for some people who are not fans of tea, some honey in plain lemon water (has to be hot water) is usually good enough.
Whichever option you choose, you will have to drink lots of it if you are fighting off a cold. A few sips won’t be enough to provide you with the necessary vitamin C you urgently require.
I Love This Honey and Lemon Tea Recipe!
Of all the hot drinks I sometimes find myself craving, lemon-honey black tea is right up there as one of my favorites. It is such a simple drink to make with so many benefits.
Not only do you need just five primary ingredients but it also just takes five minutes to prepare, which is exactly what you need when even getting out of bed is a struggle.
Lastly, you can go for a lot of different variations with this drink, some of which I have listed in the optional instructions for making lemon-honey black tea.
Grab Your Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice and Let’s Go!
I’m sure you already know how to make a cup of tea, so just know you will need the usual equipment, such as a kettle or electric jug to boil the water, a cup, and a spoon.
Variations to the Ordinary Lemon-Honey Tea Recipe
There are many different ways of enjoying your lemon and honey black tea, some of which have some additional benefits as well. Try any of the following optional instructions:
- Instead of using black tea, you can use green tea or even tea bags. Green tea has many documented health benefits and using tea bags means you do not need to worry about using a strainer. Keeping green tea on hand can also help you create this iced peach green tea lemonade recipe if you’re looking for something a little different
- Add some fresh mint (2-3 crushed mint leaves) to give a unique taste and improve the effect against colds and flu
- You can add some more warmth to the tea by adding a little bit of cinnamon
- Cardamom has a great aroma. Just two cardamom pods added to your boiling water will make your cup of tea smell amazing!
- You can substitute the honey for maple syrup and still get the same benefits but with a slightly different taste
- Turmeric is another classic ingredient that has a lot of health benefits that you can exploit by adding a couple of pinches to your black tea.
Some Helpful Tips
As we approach the end of this recipe blog post, here are a few hints that you can adapt to make it easier to make black tea with honey and lemon from now on:
- Grate the peels of your lemons and add this to the tea to enhance the freshly squeezed lemon juice flavor
- If you are avoiding caffeine, better to skip the black tea and go for hot lemon water instead
- Peeling the skin off the ginger is easier if you use the back of your spoon. You can then finely grate your ginger using a hand grater
If you want to enjoy the soothing, sweet taste of lemon juice and honey, look no further than this easy-to-follow recipe. Just five ingredients and five minutes are all you will need to make the perfect cup of black tea with honey and lemon.
Honey Lemon Tea
This homemade honey lemon tea recipe provides your body with a lot of anti-inflammatory properties and is great for boosting your immune system.
- 1 c. hot water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. black tea or green tea
- fresh ginger
- lemon slices for garnishing (optional)
- Boil your water and take it off the heat. Add your black tea, or green tea, cover it all with a lid and allow the tea to steep for a few minutes (about three minutes).
- Take your lemon juice, honey, and fresh ginger and mix these in your empty serving cup. Mix until honey has dissolved.
- Next, using a strainer (if not using bagged tea), pour the black tea into the serving cup and mix well with the ginger, honey, and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Allow the tea to sit for a few minutes so that the ginger is infused into the water.
- Add a lemon slice to garnish and enjoy your cup of tea.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g