If you are looking for a great sweet-and-sour shooter that all your party guests can enjoy, liquid marijuana is the way to go.
Don’t get any ideas- there is no cannabis on the go here- only a delicious and easy-to-make drink that works as a shot, cocktail, or fishbowl.
This is a great shot or cocktail recipe for anyone who likes a sweet, fruity flavor and a glass that looks great in photos.
When everything is mixed up, the drink turns a luminous bright green. These are perfect St Patrick’s Day party shots- and are also a hit at Halloween parties.
What Is a Liquid Marijuana Cocktail?
A liquid marijuana drink is an alcoholic blend of at least six different ingredients (my recipe includes a couple more), including cocktail favorites such as blue curacao, rum, and pineapple juice.
It is both sweet and sour and is a staple recipe in shot bars around the world.
Please note, there are no actual cannabis products in a liquid marijuana shot – or at least not in this version. It gets its name from the gorgeous green color that almost seems to glow in the dark.
A Few Notes about the Ingredients
Swap the Syrup for White Sugar If you Prefer
Some liquid marijuana shot recipes don’t include syrup or sugar, but I think it adds an extra sweet kick that really compliments the alcoholic components.
I prefer syrup, but sugar gets the job done too. If you use sugar, be sure to mix it well enough that it dissolves rather than sinks to the bottom. You could also try my water moccasin shot recipe if you’re looking for something sweet as well.
On the other hand, if your sweet tooth isn’t quite fully developed, cut this out completely. You don’t need it- and you may even prefer it without if you enjoy a sour mix in your cocktails.
Pick your Spiced Rum Wisely
Spiced rum comes in many varieties with different flavor strengths and alcohol levels. The one you use makes a difference to the final taste of your liquid marijuana cocktail or shot- so choose carefully.
The best choice is the one you like best.
Make Sure you have Plenty of Ice
There is a lot of alcohol in this shot, so beware of the headaches ahead if you overdo it. The ice is not just for chilling- it also helps water it down a little to take the edge off. If you’re looking for a shot to prank your friends try the cement mixer shot!
You can also water it down a little using tonic water if you are making a liquid marijuana cocktail rather than a shot.
What Else Will You Need?
A simple cocktail shaker is fine- you don’t need any fancy bar tools to make this tasty shot. If you don’t have one, don’t worry- you can also mix your ingredients in a measuring jug or bowl filled with ice.
Two-Ounce Shot Glass
This recipe makes quite a large shot, so a two-ounce glass is best. You can, of course, reduce the measurements if you want to make them smaller- or increase them to make a cocktail or pitcher of the drink.
Don’t Forget to Drink Responsibly!
A liquid marijuana drink may not contain the real thing, but it sure gets the party vibes flowing all the same.
It looks great, tastes fantastic, and is super easy to make. There are quite a few ingredients to gather, but it is worth it if you love this cocktail and are likely to make this recipe often.
Always drink your liquid marijuana shots responsibly!
- 1/4 oz spiced rum
- 1/4 oz coconut rum
- 1/4 oz blue curaçao
- 1/4 oz Midori melon liqueur
- 1/4 oz pineapple juice
- 1/4 oz lemon juice (increase this measure if you want a more sour mix)
- 1/4 oz simple syrup
- Ice cubes or crushed ice
- Pre-measure out each ingredient and have them ready to pour into your cocktail shaker.
- Using either ice cubes or crushed ice, fill a cocktail shaker almost to the top.
- Pour the blue curaçao, coconut rum, spiced rum, melon liqueur, pineapple juice, and lemon juice into the shaker. I usually add the syrup in at the end right before I shake things up.
- Shake for at least a minute because you want to be sure everything is fully combined. Sometimes the syrup can stick at the top a little, so check it and scrape it into the shaker if needs be. If that is the case, shake it again for another 30 seconds. A liquid marijuana shot is meant to be taken icy cold so the longer you shake, the better. When you are happy that everything is incorporated and chilled, strain the liquid marijuana drink into your shot glass. If you are making a pitcher or cocktail, pour it into a glass or bowl with ice.
Some people like to garnish the glass with a maraschino cherry, but this is completely optional.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 0g