Are you looking for the perfect side dish to enhance your favorite meals and surprise your family and friends? Microwave sweet potato is just perfect. It’s easy to make, delicious, and healthy.
Also, microwave sweet potatoes are very versatile. You can serve them plain or add toppings and seasonings to make them more interesting.
Cooking vegetables in the microwave is amazing! I know this appliance doesn’t work for everything, but it’s ideal if we want to “bake” as opposed to boiled sweet potatoes.
Moreover, it helps me make several when I want to keep some leftovers in the fridge and reheat them for lunch, especially if I do healthy meal planning.
Other Microwave Sweet Potato Recipes
I was fascinated the first time I made and tried a microwave sweet potato. Honestly, I didn’t know I could make such an easy and delicious recipe.
After that, I decided I would be as creative as I could and experiment to create different dishes with this cooking technique. Consequently, the next time I craved a sweet treat, I sprinkled brown sugar and ground cinnamon over the cooked sweet potato.
How to Cook a Sweet Potato When You’re Craving a Sweet Treat
If you want to try it, just add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar or maple syrup, and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon to the sweet potato.
Best Tips for Cooking Sweet Potatoes
I also want to help you get the best results! Here are the tips that I always keep in mind when I cook a sweet potato in the microwave:
- I put a whole sweet potato in the microwave for around 5 minutes, but the cooking time may vary depending on your microwave’s power and the sweet potato’s size. Add more minutes of cooking until it’s fork-tender.
- If you are using large sweet potatoes or more and need extra cooking time, check them at 5 minutes and continue cooking in one-minute intervals until tender.
- Wrap the sweet potato in a damp paper towel before microwaving it for the best and most tender results.
- If you want your sweet potato to be more moist, juicier, and creamier, use a microwave-proof container instead of a microwave-safe plate.
- Use the same recipe when you want to make regular potatoes in the microwave.
What to Serve Sweet Potatoes With
As I mentioned, I think these microwaved sweet potatoes are a healthy and easy side dish that goes well with any other recipe you want to prepare. My favorites are roasted pork loin, oven-baked chicken breasts, and sweet potato salad.
I also love eating microwaved sweet potatoes with a few of my favorite toppings, such as the following:
- BBQ pork
- BBQ chicken
- Shredded parmesan cheese (I sprinkle cheese and cook the sweet potato for a few more seconds until it melts)
- Taco fillings
- Peanut butter
- Maple syrup
- Crumbled bacon
- Candied bacon
- Sour cream
- Ranch seasoning
- Infused olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
How to Store Leftovers
Did you microwave multiple sweet potatoes and want to store some to make more recipes later? You can put them in an airtight container or cover them with plastic wrap and keep them in the fridge for up to four days!
When you want to eat them, put your microwave on 50% power, cover your sweet potatoes, and reheat them for a few seconds.
I never thought microwaving sweet potatoes would change my life!
Although it’s so easy, this technique helps me create delicious recipes to share with my friends.
When I have guests over or only want to save leftovers, I cook two sweet potatoes instead of one, and I only need a couple more minutes. It’s just amazing!
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy?
Yes, they are! Only a medium potato can provide multiple nutrients, including vitamin C, fiber, protein, carbohydrates, potassium, and vitamin A. That’s why Patti Labelle’s sweet potato pie recipe is loved by many!
Is It a Low-Calorie Recipe?
It depends on the toppings you use. A microwaved medium sweet potato has only 178 serving calories. However, it isn’t a low-carb alternative! Keep that in mind if you are on a diet to lose weight.
Should I Remove the Sweet Potato Skin?
No, you don’t have to remove it! Sweet potato skin is edible and also has many nutrients.
You only have to make sure it’s clean and get rid of any dirt before cooking it.
Is It Safe to Microwave a Sweet Potato?
Yes, it is! Since you only have to cook the sweet potato for a few minutes, it maintains its nutrients and does not affect its composition.
Why Should We Pierce the Sweet Potato Before Microwaving It?
Always pierce sweet potatoes with a fork to prevent them from exploding in the microwave.
If we pierce them before cooking, the steam will escape through the small holes, and our potatoes won’t explode.
Microwave Sweet Potatoes
I love that microwave sweet potatoes are so versatile. You can serve them plain or add toppings and seasonings to make them more interesting.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Wash the sweet potato well, making sure to remove all the dirt from the skin.
- Pat dry the sweet potato with a paper towel and pierce the sweet potato with a fork or paring knife.
- Put another paper towel on a microwave-safe plate and then place the sweet potato on the paper towel.
- Microwave the sweet potato for at least three minutes.
- Turn the sweet potato carefully and microwave for at least two more minutes or until it is fork-tender.
- Carefully remove the sweet potato from the microwave (remember that it will be hot, so I recommend using oven mitts).
- Let the microwaved sweet potato sit for at least two minutes before serving.
- Slice the sweet potato and add the butter (I prefer to enjoy its natural sweet flavors, but you can also sprinkle kosher salt and pepper).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 132mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g