Imagine having a Thanksgiving dinner party without a platter of crispy sliced potatoes sitting next to the golden brown roasted turkey. It just wouldn’t seem right.
Knowing how to make oven-baked potato slices is a skill that is very important if you are going to be making regular meals for your family or you love having your friends over for a party. Just like baked potatoes on the grill, the great thing about this oven baked sliced potatoes recipe is that it is very easy to make. The instructions are straightforward and the process will not take too much of your time either.
Read this easy-to-make potato slices recipe and keep it handy for that special occasion or when you just feel like treating your family to something special.
Why I Love Oven-baked Potato Slices
One thing that puts me off a lot of recipes that I come across is the long grocery list of ingredients that are required. It seems that having a bit of olive oil and some spices in the kitchen is no longer enough for most of these dishes.
However, that is not the case when you make baked potato slices according to this recipe. You only need a handful of ingredients and a quick four-step process to make your sliced potatoes crispy and delicious.
There is also a wide range of variations and serving ideas I can play with to keep this sliced baked-potatoes dish interesting. I can alter the way I slice potatoes, the type of potatoes I use, and the spices I add to this side dish cuisine.
Lastly, I love having such a healthy alternative to fries. All the ingredients, from olive oil to potatoes, are carefully chosen to create a healthy meal for your family.
Best Potatoes for Making Potato Slices
While a lot of people may find it annoying to have to choose the right type of potato for a specific recipe out of so many options, I don’t mind at all. I love having so many choices to play around with and helping make every meal unique.
My favorite choice for making roasted potato slices is Idaho Russet potatoes. I have also tried this oven-roasted potato recipe using red potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes with great success but I always find myself coming back to Russet potatoes.
Whatever potatoes you prefer, the golden rules for making crispy potato slices that are soft on the inside remain the same, i.e. make sure your oven is hot enough, coat the sliced potatoes completely in olive oil, and don’t forget regular flipping.
If you are feeling adventurous, my boiled sweet potatoes recipe is a great alternative that can be used to substitute regular options in most potato recipes. The potato wedges or slices will taste a lot sweeter and, in many cases, will be the healthier alternative.
How Long to Bake Roasted Potato Slices?
Baking time depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- The temperature of the oven. Generally, 375-400 degrees F will need about 20 minutes for properly roasted potatoes
- Thick potato slices will take longer to bake than thin slices
- The type of potatoes is also a factor as different varieties require different cooking times. You can use a fork to check if the slices have become soft on the inside
How To Serve Baked Potato Slices
Roasted potato slices can be served on their own as a snack. Simply add some salt and black pepper, and grab your favorite dip! Shredded cheese added to the slices while they are still hot is also a good idea.
However, if you would rather enjoy your baked potato slices as a side dish to a larger meal, you have a lot of options, such as:
- A vegetarian meal of fried broccoli, roasted carrots, and green peas
- Fried chicken breast or thighs
- A scrambled-egg breakfast
- Fried salmon or other seafood
- Baked, roasted, or fried sausages
- Steak, pork chops, lamb chops, or buffalo wings
Best Way To Store Sliced Baked Potatoes
If you find yourself with lots of leftover baked potato slices, the best way to store them is in an airtight container. Place it in the refrigerator and keep it for not more than four days.
Oven-baked potato slices do not do well if frozen so ideally, you should make just enough for your family to finish in a few days at most.
You will never struggle to find a good side dish for your dinner party or family meal as long as you have this oven-baked potato slices recipe handy. It will only take 30 minutes and a handful of ingredients, so give it a try today!
Oven Baked Sliced Potatoes
The great thing about this oven baked sliced potatoes recipe is that it is very easy to make. The instructions are straightforward and the process is quick.
- 3 or 4 medium-sized Russet potatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or melted butter)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet or tray with parchment paper.
- Place the sliced potatoes on the baking sheet. Then, drizzle some olive oil over the potato slices, flipping and tossing until the sliced potatoes are completely coated.
- Add the herbs and spices to the sliced potatoes and toss once again until the spices and herbs are evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top of the potato slices
- When the oven is preheated, place the baking tray inside and close the oven door. Allow to bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the thinner potato slices have turned golden brown.
- You can flip the potato slices once during the baking process so that they cook evenly, also taking the time to make sure there are no sliced potatoes stuck to the baking tray.
- Remove the sliced potatoes from the oven and enjoy them as a snack with a delicious dip or as a side dish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 606mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g