These days, it pays to have a few crowd-pleasers up your sleeve when it comes to making the perfect shot. Nothing will impress your guest as much as demonstrating your talents with a cocktail shaker and creating magic in a shot glass.That is exactly how I feel every time my friends ask me to make them a few water moccasin shots. I’m going to share some of my secrets with you and hopefully, you will have as much fun with this water moccasin shot recipe as I do.
What Is a Water Moccasin Shot?
If you know what a water moccasin is (a venomous snake with a deadly bite), you will know what to expect for this peach schnapps, triple sec, and whiskey fire bolt of a shot. Fans of a good green tea shot will love the water moccasin shot as well.
You have just a split second to enjoy the fruity flavor of lime juice or pineapple juice before the peach schnapps and whiskey hit you! It sounds hectic, I know, but trust me, serve this up at your next party and they will be begging for more! The liquid marijuana shot also has that fruity flavor kick.
A water moccasin shot is yellow, and the aftertaste reminds me of the syrup in canned peaches, which is just perfect after the whiskey/triple sec/peach schnapps combination.
Depending on how you make it, and how much of, say, lemon-lime soda, you use, the alcohol content can be anywhere from 20% to 40%. Whichever amount of alcohol you go for, a few shot glasses is all you will need to get the party started!
The sweet and sour mix is what gives the water moccasin shot its distinct yellow appearance due to the lemon and lime juice.
When it comes to the type of whiskey you go for, it’s really up to you. I’m partial to the Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey or, sometimes, a good Tennessee or Irish whiskey. You, of course, are free to try it out using your favorite whiskey because they all work well in a water moccasin shot.
Three Water Moccasin Shot Variations
Although I’m yet to find anyone who has become tired of my original water moccasin shot recipe, it’s always great to have a few variations to spice things up once in a while. Of the many variations I have tried, these three are worth considering:
I like to play around with the sweet and sour mix to give my water moccasin shot a slightly different taste once in a while. The easiest way is to just double up on the lemon and lime juice.
This also has the advantage of reducing the bite of the water moccasin shot making it more palatable for those trying it for the first time.
Triple Sec Substitute
I love using triple sec for this shot because it just balances out everything nicely. However, you can try substituting your triple sec with a Grand Marnier or Cointreau for a bold new taste. If you’d like to use triple sec in a different way, you could make a blue kamikaze shot!
This is one area where you have a lot of options because of the many types of whiskeys out there. Like we said, just pick your favorite and go for it!
A Sweet and Sour Mix for Any Occasion
Thanks to the peach schnapps, you can enjoy your water moccasin shot anytime you want. I have made this drink for:
- A summer get together
- Barbecues in the backyard
- Poolside parties
- Springtime festivities
- A day at the beach
Step-by-Step Water Moccasin Shot Recipe
Grab your peach schnapps, sweet and sour mix, and a cocktail shaker, and let’s get to it! It will only take you two minutes.
What You Need
- Cocktail Shaker
- Shot glasses
- Hawthorne Strainer
Considering that the whole process takes just a couple of minutes, keep your cocktail shaker close by because from my experience, after tasting this cocktail shot, a lot of your guests will be clamoring for another round of this water moccasin drink.
Be sure to drink responsibly when enjoying this popular shot. Otherwise, go crazy with your shot variations and enjoy the best water moccasin shot you will ever taste!
- 1/2 oz peach schnapps
- 1/2 oz Triple Sec
- 1/2 oz whiskey
- 1/2 oz. sweet and sour mix
- Fill up your cocktail shaker with ice. Also, fill up your rocks glass with ice if you are making cocktails.
- Using your jigger, measure 1/2 oz of peach schnapps and add to your cocktail shaker.
- Next, add 1/2 oz of triple sec to your peach schnapps and ice. At this point, you can use any of the triple sec substitutes that you prefer.
- Grab your sweet and sour mix and add 1/2 oz to your peach schnapps, ice, and triple sec.
- It’s time to add your last ingredient. Get your favorite whiskey and add 1/2 oz into the rest of your mix.
- Now that you have everything measured out correctly, it’s time to shake everything up. Close the lid on your cocktail shaker and give it a brisk shake for about 15 seconds. By the time you finish, the outside of the cocktail shaker must be feeling cold to the touch.
- Once you are satisfied, open the top of the cocktail shaker and snap on your Hawthorne strainer. Carefully pour out your Water Moccasin Shots into the shot glasses and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 0g